March 3, 2012

Oh Lawdy, pikuhbayluhkotten

Last month was Black History Month. Appropriately, I painted the likeness of one of the music world's finest African-American contributors: Leadbelly.


Of his legacy, Wikipedia says, in part, the following:
Lead Belly has been covered by Delaney Davidson, Tom Russell, Lonnie Donegan, The Beach Boys, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Abba, Pete Seeger, Harry Belafonte, Ram Jam, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Dr John, Ry Cooder, Grateful Dead, Gene Autry, Odetta, Billy Childish (who named his son Huddie), Mungo Jerry, Paul King, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Michelle Shocked, Tom Waits, Scott H. Biram, Ron Sexsmith, British Sea Power, Rod Stewart, Ernest Tubb, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The White Stripes, The Fall, The Doors, Smog, Old Crow Medicine Show, Spiderbait, Meat Loaf, Yirmyah Fox, Ministry, Raffi, Rasputina, Rory Gallagher, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Deer Tick, Hugh Laurie, X, jazz guitarist Bill Frisell, Koerner, Ray & Glover, Nirvana, Mark Lanegan, WZRD, and Tyvek Velvette, among many others.

Impressive. And then, of course, there are the countless artists who have painted pictures of Mr. Belly over the years. Well, forget all of them. What is important is who has painted him most recently. I believe that would be me.

Acrylic on wood. Approx 15" x 30".

2 comments:

  1. great work, man. just bought it at Le Stat's last night. Wrote part of my book on prison slavery, chain gang songs, and other formations of US racial genocide focusing on this maestro of black folk/blues music. The piece now hangs on my living room wall. Again: wonderful work! Peace, Dennis C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After painting this picture, I felt it was particularly special. It had turned out exactly as I had imagined it, and I love when that happens. In discussions I would have with others, I stated that it felt like the painting was intended for a particular, unknown person, and I could only hope that individual would actually see it. If we assume my feeling was correct, what luck that you happened to see it!
      Thank you for taking the time to contact me. Learning of your ties to the subject of the painting has made this a really great, unique experience for me.
      Finally, I had also predicted that the person who would buy it would know immediately who it was. (as opposed to my painting of 'Biggie Smalls', which has been mistaken as a portrait of 'Idi Amin'.) Can you confirm this?

      Delete