June 16, 2013

Chief Cornelius Gritts

Another chapter in the Chasing Norman project has been completed: the poster! The band has already left for the 3-week tour of the Philippines, so its up to me and Rand to decide whether the poster I have designed is acceptable. Surely, using the art from the CD is a logical choice. What is not a 'given' is the 'flying baboon' I created. I even went so far as to grant him the honorable name of 'Chief Cornelius Gritts'. I do not think such a being exists.

(click for mucho bigedness)

I may have taken too many liberties with this one. I mean, it does seem to say something about the band and their 'style'. Is it the image they want to portray? I sure hope so. I like it a lot. I think it is catchy and the message is simple. Expect to see some wheat-pasted on a structure near you.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  2. christopher durbenOctober 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

    This is from the family of Chief Levi Gritts! We don't appreciate you using his name in this context. Chief Gritts was an honorable man with great ties to Cherokee heritage. I am here to tell you such a being did exist. He was one of many great Chiefs of the Cherokee Nation. Levi Gritts was also one of the inventors of the first English to Cherokee dictionary and liaison to President Truman. A man of this stature who is held in high regard even in the Smithsonian should not be portrayed in this nature. We the family members of Levi Gritts would appreciate it if you would not use his name and or modify it in some way as to not as to not reflect Chief Gritts.
    Thank You respectively,
    Proud Descendants of the Gritts family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Durben, I wish to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate coincidence. I am descended from Rosebud Sioux. I would not intentionally ridicule any person, let alone a notable Native American. In the first paragraph of this post I state the following "I even went so far as to grant him the honorable name of 'Chief Cornelius Gritts'. I do not think such a being exists." There was never any knowledge of Levi Gritts when the art was created. This was unfortunate, certainly, but purely innocent.
    For those who may read this commentary, I encourage you to check out page 2 of THIS FILE to learn about one of the Cherokee Nation's great historical figures.

    ReplyDelete